Modular expansion joints are used when the movements of a bridge exceed the capacity of a single gap joint or a finger type joint. The individual gaps are sealed by watertight elastomeric profiles, and surface beam movements are regulated by an elastic control system. Modular multiple-gap expansion joints can accommodate movements in every direction and rotations about every axis. They can be used for longitudinal movements of as little as 160 mm, or for very large movements of well over 3000 mm.
Components Of Modular Expansion Joint
Connecting With Splice Plate
As in all other types of expansion joint system solutions, a proper
installation is needed to certify long-term, without any maintenance- free
performance of modular expansion joint systems.
Very Special attention is directed to installation considerations
• Joint lifting and handling
• Setting proper joint opening
• Field splices (when necessary)
• Blockout reinforcement
• Setting to line and grade
• Concrete consolidation
Feature of modular expansion joint
- Safe & reliable. The load-bearing structure and displacement control system of modular expansion joints are individual parts. When under stress, these two parts will not interfere with each other and have a clear division of labor to provide security assurance.
- Uniform displacement. Modular expansion joints meet the specification of high processing and assembling precision to make sure that they can be flexible and proceed uniform displacement.
- Strong adaptability. Each junction adopts the structure which can both slide and be rotatable to content the demand of various kinds of bridges.
- Save steel. In every displacement control cabinet, all the middle beams are supporting one cross beam which is benefit to large-displacement bridges. This structure can reduces the amount of quantity of beams, the volume of control cabinet and saves steel.
Application of modular expansion joint
Modular expansion joints for longitudinal movements of 80 mm to 1,200 mm can be widely applied on the bridges which are slope, wide, curved and skew. They are used in highway bridge decks, bridgehead and other places to prevent bridges from appearing cracks cause by climate change. It also can be used in expressway.